$70 Dollar Tern Flight Suitcase


In an effort to find a cheaper alternative to bring my bike on a plane, I purchased a flight case from Wal-Mart and took my Tern Link D8 apart to see if it would work out. Of course it didn't right away but after maneuvering it to an fro a bit I got it all to fit.

The Airporter Mini available from Tern is around $300.
The Wal-Mart version around $70.

Since the Wal-Mart case less than the airline maximum, it doesn't cost any extra to bring a bike, as per usual if you try to board with a over-sized box.

I imagine that there are different suppliers selling at different Wal-Mart stores so I will advise not a specific suitcase but try to find one with the dimensions around what the Airporter Mini are.  The bottleneck is wheel size, find something bigger that the 20 inch wheels and see if it will accommodate that if not bring it back to the store.

In order to get everything to fit in the suitcase almost everything was removed from the frame, there is a shot at the end of the video below that shows all of the pieces removed and laying on the ground.

I have flown with this case two times with no problems.


It takes about 30 minutes to take the bike apart (budget more for you first time) and 30 minutes to put it all back together. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment