Touring on a Tern




Bike Touring Baja!!!. Pedaling with a Tern folding bike, tent, sleeping bag and some provisions. I had a really minimal setup. I started in San Diego, Ca and made it to Guerrero Negro, Baja California Sur. 750 km, I did about 40km in a collectivo taxi to get out of Tijuana as it was getting dark.


On the first day out I meet Tim Tower (above right), he was riding from San Diego as well, and was keeping meticulous notes on the journey. Tim's Baja Journey has all of those notes and pretty much follows my journey. We actually ended up in the same hotel on Tim's Day 12 where I finished my trip and took a bus up to Tijuana, and crossed over into E.E.U.U.

I also meet this couple on the road Elker and Sema Akin (above on the left), two cyclists from Turkey, their travel site is Bisiklet Bu. But it's in Turkish so good luck reading it. They were awesome!

Molly is in there too (in the middle in the photo above) she lives at the Hostel Young Dudes with her dad the owner. The hostel is just outside of Rosarito, Baja, Mexico.

And that is my tent (center) behind everybody, I slept without the rain fly that night, under the stars.

Below are some pictures from the road, the first two are some amazing landscape shots from Tim's Blog










The Tern turned out to work rather well. I would have liked to have a few higher gears and a few lower gears but other than than no complaints. Below are some photos of me getting my bike into situations that normally would be hard for a non-folder.

In the front of the taxi on my way out of Tijuana in a collectivo
The Tern in the luggage compartment on the way back to the USA


The Tern in the back of a taxi in Tijuana.
All my gear packed into that corner of a restroom stall.

The end of my trip in the Baja!

I was able to keep up with Tim, Elker, and Sema,The latter two riding Long Haul Truckers while Tim was on some custom orange monster that he had fine tuned to his needs. I did have to walk up some of the very steep grades but when I was doing so it was at the same pace as a LHT in its lowest gear so no worries there, I also found it pleasant to give my legs a change of pace. Going down hills I could have gone faster on a LHT but that is not to say I didn't enjoy on my Tern. All in all it went very well.


0 comments:

Post a Comment